Thursday, September 20, 2007

Intro 3 - cause essay

Someone knocks on the door. The dog goes crazy barking, and I go to the door to find a scruffy looking 20-something, his beat up pickup idling loudly in the dooryard. "Ya got any sleds available?" he asks. "I don't have a credit card, but you can have my truck as collateral." I tell him "no", and as he leaves the phone rings. "Yeah, Marj, this piece of crap snowmobile won't stay running." I ask if they left the choke open. "Oops. Sorry Marj!" Crisis averted - at least I didn't have to drive for two hours down a camp road to tell them that. Having your own business has its ups and downs. In our case it was the ATV/snowmobile rental business my husband and I ran out of our house for five years. From late customers, broken machines, late night rental inquiries and operator inexperience, running this business out of our home was a drag.