Saturday, September 1, 2007

Graf 2

In Calculus I, I studied hard, memorized formulas, and earned a B. Calculus II brought a different professor and an unusual teaching style.

How hard can Calculus II be if you have memorized the formulas and know how to work the word problems? I sat down to the exam and stared. The three questions on the test were vague and evasive. After reading and rereading them over again I still hadn't the faintest idea what he wanted us to do. I got up and spoke to him. His reply? "If you don't understand what I want then maybe you shouldn't be in this class." Needless to say, I got the worst grade of my life -- a 38. In tears I went to my senior advisor, an electrical engineering student getting ready for graduate school. She didn't understand the exam either, and took it to the Dean of Mathematics, who didn't get it, but all this hullabaloo got me NOWHERE. The asshole had TENURE. I dropped the class and felt like a complete loser until I moved to Oregon and retook the class out there. I got a B.

I would have loved to tell him, but I know he wouldn't have cared -- however I would like to know how you can fail 20 students and still consider yourself a good instructor?

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Yep, it's classic: if challenged, insult the challenger! That'll show 'em! How dare they question me, etc etc...?