Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Graf #9

One thing that I didn't touch on in my essay that really drove me crazy was the enormous amount of phone calls asking for money. In the spring 90% of my business calls were people wanting donations. Other calls were people asking for jobs. Don't these people know where the Job Service is? What are they doing -- just going through the phone book? A lot of the local business calls we received were women calling for their husbands/boyfriends. Not a big deal, except the women didn't have a clue as to what I was telling them. Sometimes the guy would be right by the phone - I could hear him telling her what to say. Let me tell you, the day that my husband cancelled the business phone line I felt an enormous weight leave my chest!

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

"Sometimes the guy would be right by the phone - I could hear him telling her what to say."

That amount of no-self-confidence is both funny and scary--you know these guys afraid to talk to you are not afraid to blow up at their g/fs when they don't get the job--naturally, it's got to be their fault for not saying the right stuff....